Wednesday, July 09, 2014

Word!

Tonight I gather with my community for the Celebration of the Word. This celebration is what has really helped me in my experiences within the community.

Every week a different "word" is chosen as a theme to guide the readings. The brothers and sisters sit down a few nights before to prepare for this celebration. Specific readings throughout the bible are shared and then by the end of the night a few readings are chosen to be used at the celebration.

For me, this celebration allows the Word of God to come alive in me. The readings that are proclaimed are no longer mere stories of the bible. My life is now placed in each and every reading. I no longer sit and listen to stories and wonder how did these things happen or why but I now realize the many times I was placed in a position to act as the Father in the Story of the Prodigal Son or the times I was invited to dine with Jesus at the Last Supper or even be reminded of Gods infinite power when he allowed Elizabeth to bear a child.

The Word of God needs to be celebrated. It needs to come alive in our daily interactions with our friends, family and every person we come across. The Word of God desires more than to just be placed on the shelf in our homes. Ive been called to reveal the Word of God that has dwelt in my heart and soul for all these years.

As it says in the bible, "The Word became flesh and dwelt among us".

2 comments:

  1. Dear Way on Guam,

    Be aware that the Statutes also tells us that the first reading must be taken from the Torah (first five books) or from the historical books of the Old Testatment; the second reading is taken from the prophets or wisdom literature; the third reading from the apostolic writings, and the fourth reading are from the Gospels. That is found in the footnotes #34. Not many communities are aware of this until it was pointed out to them. Some communities take the first two readings from anywhere in the Old Testament.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Peace!
    Yes, The groups preparing are always sure to choose the readings according to what is described in the statutes.
    Thank You for what you are doing on your blog end. We must continue to be witnesses to the miracles that we have experienced through God working in The Way. I personally got tired of my words being twisted on that other blog that we are familiar with. I decided to start my own blog to share my experiences of the community even if it is through anonymity. Joy!

    ReplyDelete