Saturday, July 26, 2014

A LETTER FROM FR. JOHN WADESON

*I could not obtain a copy of the letter but I retyped it is as it appears in the Sunday, July 27, 2014 Umatuna Newspaper

TO: U Matuna Si Yu'os

Dear Editor,

I am writing to your newspaper to answer the defamatory accusation which appeared on the Blog Jungle Watch written by Tim Rohr.

Regarding it, I wish to point out:

1. I was never inquired nor condemned and that this accusation is a calumny: the investigation made into that allegation concluded that it was without foundation, and I continued to serve as Pastor in the Parish of St. Peter Claver, Asbury Park, NJ, for an additional three years, until 1995.

2. And so for nine years, until 2001, I continued with the Congregation (Society of the Divine Word) as a priest in good standing. In the year 2000, the Provincial Superior of that time, Fr. Stan Uroda SVD, wrote "We have no hesitation about assigning him to pastoral ministry in the Chicago Province. Indeed in every letter requesting faculties I expressed our confidence in Fr. Wadeson as a person and priest." In March 2013, when I was granted faculties in the Archdiocese of San Francisco, and was asked about my being named on the list of accused in the Los Angeles Archdiocese, the Provincial Superior, Fr. Thomas Ascheman SVD, wrote concerning this matter "The allegation was never substantiated, no formal accusation was ever made, and no settlement was offered or made."

3.Regarding the Archdiocese of Los Angeles, I was never incardinated there: on one ocassion, when I asked to celebrate occasionally with a group of families, I was not granted faculties for a divergence with the then Archbishop of Los Angeles Cardinal Roger Mahoney; this decision had nothing to do with the defamatory accusation above-mentioned since the name of Cardinal Mahoney was recorded in the same list.

4. I warn anyone who wishes to reiterate this false accusation that I have instructed my lawyer to proceed judicially against those who will adcance this calumny: whatever compensation may be obtained after the Court pronouncment will be devolved to help the people in need, on Guam.

Fr. John Howard Wadeson

No comments:

Post a Comment